Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Starbucks, what happened to my change?


Let me start out by saying that this story in no way is targeted to people who drink Starbucks coffee. The coffee is some of the best tasting stuff I have ever had. Lee Upchurch, a good friend of mine, introduced me to this drink and it is awesome.

"The Tall White Mocha"

Over the last few weeks I have stopped in to get this drink and have waited up 10-15 min at times just to get it. But I mind you almost everytime it has been with a gift card.

My first experience without a gift card was a little different. Last week for instance, I pull up to the order window and I order the drink and as I waited for my drink I started to ponder on the thought of what I am actually waiting for.

Now my wife can attest to this, that I am not the most frugal person in the world, but I have started to wonder about what the cost of a cup of Joe' is now days and its getting kind of scary. (anyways back to waiting in line) So I waited in line and started to realize that I was little hungry, and as I approached the window the nice Starbucks lady (who gets an A+) for bringing my thought into fruition when she asked " if I would Iike a soft blueberry muffin with my order of Tall White Mocha" The spirit in me said no that is too much, but my tummy screamed oh yes you do!

So I pulled out 6 bucks and passed it to the lady and waited. As time passed I played up the thought of how great my coffee would taste and how I would have asked for that muffin even if she did not up sell it to me. Then "Finally" the wait is over. I had my White Mocha in one hand and my warm, creamy, blueberry muffin in the other. As I placed the muffin on my passenger seat and freed the other hand for my change I turned,opened my hand toward the window, and out dropped like 45 cents into my hand! Hence the question: What happened to my change back? OK Starbucks lady, I gave you six bucks and you gave me a coffee and a muffin, where is this fare?

As I pull off with the face that I am sure she sees often from a somewhat new of a Starbuck's goer(the what tha just happened face)I thought to myself ok ok... I am civil, I'm not going to freak out about this. Its just six bucks it will be okay. So the next week I stopped on the way in to work and pick up a coffee and McGriddle (please try one if you have not) from McDonald's. The meal was great- I was charged a few bucks, and guess what....I did get change back!!! I really think McDonald's finally figured it out. Our coffee choices may not be as bold and we may not have the cool feel of holding a Starbucks cup, but when a client hands us 6-7 bucks for a coffee and sandwich, we are going to give them some change back! Starbucks I love you, but maybe you can takes some notes. Your business may even triple what it is doing now if you come down a little and stop me from having to take out a small loan for a cup of Joe. In short Gimme some change with my order.

Thanks,

6 comments:

joeyg said...

Dude, I have just learned to bend over and take it like a man. Mikki D's coffee just doesn't do it for me... High Point all the way.

Unknown said...

Zach you are someone I feel I can confide in. I am struggling with what you have posted. I have been sober for 3 1/2 days now. I do not know how I could have let myself sink so low. I used to make fun of (those people). Now I know I have a problem. Since you called me, it is all I can think about. Why do they taunt you with a tall? WHy not just face it and go for the Vinti or whatever that means! Blue berry ahhhh, I will not even start.... Just know there is no patch for my problem.... Please hold me accountable and lets go sometime.P.S the way you can keep them from stealing your change is pre load a gift card and use it instead. That is what I do....

Anonymous said...

let's face it - you're paying for the image and we all know (despite how good looking you are) that you can use all the image help you can get - especially when your wife isn't by your side

Katie Cordell said...

hey....try the actual coffee instead of specialty drink...you'll be surprised as how much change you get back. hope you enjoyed that mocha and blueberry muffin!

Dan and Tami said...

And let me just add, it's no use trying to be frugal by ordering a "short" carmel hot chocolate because it saves you about 50 cents and you only get 1/4 of the drink. I'm still bitter.

Tami

angier said...

My name is Angie and I'm a Starbucks addict. Maybe we can start our own support group. I quit smoking after 10 years but I am having a major problem quitting Starbucks!!