Saturday, July 11, 2009

What tha Davenport Happened Here!

It has been a long time since my last post and I promise that I will get better with my posting. I guess the first place that we can start is my birthday! I turned 29 years old on June 28th. Sydney was down for the weekend, along with family and friends from all over Memphis who came to celebrate. We ate burgers and hotdogs and hit the pool at the Shack's home. We had a great time. I got tons of really cool gifts for my 29th. My favorite was the the guitar my wife reluctantly purchased for me. I say reluctant b/c she has kindly labeled me as "One Track". This means that I have a great ability to get really focused on something and then in a months time or shorter that same focus will fizzle out til my next big thing. My goal now is to learn how to play the guitar and learn within the next year's time. I wanted this gift because I love music. And since its one of my passions I would like to learn how to play something. Liz doesn't really see it that way, so we will have to prove her wrong huh?

The weekend after my birthday we connected with a group of friends and traveled to Davenport, Iowa. If you are like me you are probably asking yourself why does anyone travel to Davenport? Well it was for a friend. Our pal JR Rozko was married 4th of July weekend to Amy Garrington. We left on our eight hour journey Friday morning and returned Sunday around 3 in the morning. It was a great being able to see a friend get married, but the drive was just brutal. Corn fields, corn fields ......a few cows......and more corn fields. The trip did come with a few laughs. The Iowa Machine Shed Restaurant was the scene of the story.

Looking at the resturant above it would be easy for one to assume that they probably served great iced tea right? Well they do, it's just not the great stuff that in the south we like to call, "SWEET TEA." After we were seated, drink orders were about to be taken. One of the girls in our group looked up to the waitress with a look of excitement in her eyes and said, "I bet ya'll have some good sweet tea here huh?" Being in Iowa of course they did not. The waitress quickly responded with, "No, but we do have Iced Tea." With a disheartend look on her face Allison paused and said, "Oh the barn threw me off." Hilarious! A week has gone by and we are all still laughing about that. In her favor though, it did have that feel. The look of the south, the feel of the south, and no sweet tea. Great memory and good time with friends.

No comments: