It is official. I am about to start training for the St. Jude Marathon on December 5th! I will be training for the half marathon and I think that it would be fitting to note that I am not a good runner at all. I actually tried to quit playing basketball in high school because my high school coach made me train with long distance running. Saying that, I am going to truely give this a go. My two brother-in-law's Lee Smitherman and Fred Shackelford are running in the race as well. Both are great long distance runners already so I won't see them too much during the race I am sure. (*unless it's the back of them!) I know how good cardio is for you and it is something that I need to get better at doing. I just don't like it. It is just hard. I am going to need some help and motivation along the way. First, I need to know what kinda shoes I need to get since I have none for running. Secondly, how much do I need to start running in order to not burn out? Lastly, what is the best time to run and what should my diet be before and after running. I start training next Monday so help!
Thanks in advance.
7 comments:
Sorry Zach. Can't help you. I tried running for about 6 months. Didn't love it. Now the only thing that could motivate me to do so would be a really scary person chasing me. Even then I think I would try fighting them off before running from them though. :) Good luck!
I don't know much either, but Fred knows everything you need to know. He is really into it. I do know that he gets Runner Magazine. I have read a few articles and it makes me want to run ( well, almost). Ask him whatever you need to know.
Yay! Way to go. I am doing my first Half in October and I am definitely not a runner either. I'm doing this training program and it's been great so far:
http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm
Just make sure you are eating enough "fuel" (carbs) to keep you going. You'll do great!
Zach...I really recommend buying your shoes at a Fleet Feet. They will fit you for shoes that are good for the way YOU run and the way you land on your feet. Everyone is unique and it isn't good to just go buy a good looking pair of sneakers.
Also, there are a lot of websites online that give you a training schedule based on your starting level. So, since you're a beginner you'll probably want to start out with running a mile or 1/2 a mile. But the great thing about it is it will make your schedule for you. So...with that said,
Good Luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks for all the advice! I really need it. Like I said I start next week and I plan on getting my running gear this weekend. I am really pumped about it. I always wanted to stay in shape it is just hard to do that when I have no goal. Now I do! Liz I am ready for you to be my cheerleader!
Last year I did a 5K and did the "couch to 5K" running program. It was a great way to start because I have never run. You can search for it online, there are even itune things you can download to run to, where the music will change when you have to start running vs. walking. Check it out. Good Luck!
Sounds like you've got lots of good advice already, bro. I'll echo Katie and suggest you get your shoes at Fleet Feet. You also might want to check out runnersworld.com for other helpful hints. You can do it!
Post a Comment