Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wow what a weekend!

I do not even know where to start. I guess I could start by thanking JR and Mathew for making this trip happen and making it great. Miami was so much fun. The conference that we attended was CCDA . This was one of the best things that I have ever seen. To see people from different cultures and from cities all over America who have changed their lives and decided to be a vision of Christ where they live and to do this when everyone else tells them that they are nuts is astonishing. It is one thing to hear people speak on it, but when you shake the hands of men and women who have made this a reality in their lives and in their cities is just inspiring. I had the chance to meet alot of great folks.

John Perkins (left)was one of the speakers and founders of CCDA. Mr. Perkins was a guy who before this conference I did not know much about. A few weeks prior to the conference I had an opportunity to attend an event here in Memphis where he spoke at Crichton College. Although I was impressed with his overall knowledge and understanding of community and how it should look, I still saw him as coming from one side of the spectrum regarding the black society in America. During the span of the conference not only did Mr. Perkins feed me with a wealth of knowledge, he shared his story with us from a view that is unlike any other message that I have ever heard. What I love about his message is that it is color blind. Though I have not had a chance to read any of his books if you have intrest check it out here: books. He will be my next author to read.

The other speaker that really caught me was Mr. Carey Casey. He spoke on the importance of fatherhood and really placed the microscope on what it takes to be a good father. This is something that in most inner cities sadly, has a huge void. His website fathers.com goes deep into the subject and is something that I want to learn more of. How we can bring this attitude to more of my brothers and sisters here in Memphis. And how we can show our fathers to play more of an active role in their kids lives regardless of status: (married, divorced, or out of wedlock) etc. Uncoering the myth that the father's presence is indeed just as important as the mother's.

Overall I received a wealth of knowledge. Now the next step is what to do with it! I am glad to be home. (I missed LIZ so much) Great conference great experience. Again thanks Mathew and JR for the experience and invite.

4 comments:

JR Rozko said...

Honored to have you along brother. I firmly believe that God intends to use you in big ways to impact people in Memphis. If CCDA was a fan to that flame, then all the better. See ya tonight.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! if there's anyone who can do something with this, I know it's you!

Elizabeth said...

I'm happy to read this, and I'm so excited to hear more about your trip. I know it was amazing. Selfishly, though, I'm glad to have you home. Love you.

Corey and Melody Cain said...

This sounds wonderful! I hope to hear more about it on your blog in the near future!