You have to view this commercial below and ask yourself this question, "Have I been tricked as an consumer in this country?" Have I been subject to think that the definition of "Who I Am" is a direct and sad reflection of the amount of money in my bank account, the cars I own, the size of my home, or how much my sunglasses cost! I saw this commercial and I realized something, I am one of those people. I love material. I love new things, IPods, the laptops, the flat screens.
My old self would be asking why is this type of thinking so bad? I mean, I think that this is a decent question to ask, right? If I have the cash, why not look to purchase something that I am totally capable of being able to enjoy?
The better question is....."Zach, is this biblical?" When I am posed with this question, my materialistic ways cannot ever stand the test. Lord, thank you and only you for keeping me a humble man.
I do not want to push you one way or another with this video ..... I mean, I am a banker: I need people to consume! I think the "how" and the "why" we consume should be discussed and is the more pertinent question. They speak to this in the end of the commercial so listen closely.
By the way, just so we're clear: I don't believe Discover Card is the answer to purifying our hearts. :) Enjoy.
4 comments:
Great post my friend - think you are really touching on something important. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IkX6K-g4w&eurl
and this:
http://blog.iamnotashamed.net/2008/07/30/going-green-is-it-for-you-or-the-earth-really/
I am sort of in the middle on this. I think this country is way too obsessed with having everything we want. Yes, we do buy things we don't need. We do want all the name brand and flashy stuff. (Except me! I'm too cheap for name brand!) Obviously, too many people are in debt way too deep. That's definitely a problem. On the other hand, I don't feel bad if I happen to buy a shirt or a picture I want for $20. I like clothes and jewelry as much as the next girl, but that doesn't mean I live outside my means if I want buy something and contribute to this consumerism. Yes, we all buy things we don't NEED. But it's not always iPods, flatscreens, and other big purchases. Most everyone is guilty of buying things we don't need - whether that is a t.v. or a t-shirt. I totally agree that it has gotten out of control, but I'm like you. I thank God that He can keep me straight.
How true! It is so easy to get caught up in "all the world has to offer" and lose sight of all that God has provided. Thanks for the reminder! By the way, if you and Liz want to go with us to Honduras next year, we'll have a spot for you!
Post a Comment