Tuesday, October 11, 2011

1600 sq feet of first.

As I put my son down for the night and I cozy up to my Michelob Ultra I can not stop thinking about the selling of our home. I go from a 30 second high of blissfulness as I imagine us moving back into the city that we love (Memphis) -and then there is a bit of sorrow as I think about leaving the home that my wife and I moved into. I could never forget when we first took the keys to this home. No kids, no dogs. Just me, my lovely wife, and Precious the cat. I feel like those times were just yesterday. We moved out into this small little town just outside of Memphis and knew no one. This home took us in and we slowly started to make it our own. Pictures, new furniture, a new grill for the backyard ...oh the purchases of young folks in love. This house held up to our youthfulness as a young married couple. These walls patiently took on our arguments, our debates, our singing, our disagreements with dignity. These floors took on our spills, our kids first steps, our dancing, our gaming.

We started a business here. We found a closer relationship with our Lord here. A Jr was born here. Birthday parties were done here. Football games were watched, people cried here, Thanksgiving was had here, snow cones were made here, dogs ate things they weren't supposed to eat here, We made new friendships that will last forever here. Our first home together means so much to me. A tear comes to my eye when I think about leaving it. So much history that is found in these 1600 square fee of "first ".

3 comments:

JR Rozko said...

First of all, brilliant title - love it. Second, totally appropriate to mourn and lament the end of something that symbolizes so much meaningful history. Wouldn't want you guys to rush past that, but definitely would be just as quick to encourage you to keep a firm gaze on the vision of what God is calling you to - filled with possibilities and even more meaning. Miss you guys and really proud and excited for the path you're on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks bro! I think that you are right. Sometimes we take for granted the "first" in life. I wanted to make sure that I capture these memories as they happen or have happened. WE are excited about our next calling. I am ready to be a part of what ever it is that Christ is calling for us to do.

AB said...

That's good stuff Z. BTW, I know a GREAT spot for you guys here in B'ham!