Sunday, November 28, 2010

Adoption.....what it means for the Wiggs' family.

This is a word that had little meaning to me until I turned 18 years old. I knew that I wanted to adopt at a young age. That I wanted to provide a home to a child who didn't have one. Although I knew this way back then, I didn't know what my home would look like or even how I would look to do this. Over the last couple of years my wife and I started talking about what we wanted our family to look like. We knew that we wanted to adopt early on, but didn't see this happening til many years down the road. (More than likely when we were done with the idea of having any more biological  kids of our own) For those of you who don't know me before I met my wife I already have a daughter named Sydney who is now eight. She is our little princess. After her there is a age gap of 7 years. Zachary Jr. came along and has been nothing but a joy! After Zachary arrived we began asking the question what is next for us? What about our next baby? What about adoption? What about now?

As these questions started to rise I felt a huge calling. A calling that began to grow over the next few months after Zachary that adopting was upon us. I never brought this up to Liz. I wanted to wait and make sure that she felt comfortable about making this move and be considerate to her after just having Zachary.  Shorty after this thought my lovely wife called me at work one day and told me that this had been on her heart and that she wanted to see what I thought about it! This is what I call the Lord working. Since this time we have started the process. We have accepted an agency and have formally started the process of adoption. We have selected Ethiopia as the country to adopt from.

I could go into a huge spiel of why we decided to adopt internationally over domestic or why we are even adopting in the first place. I won't bore you now with the why. I will tell you that we feel led and blessed to be able to grow our family this way. I am really excited about seeing this little one and introducing him to our family. I am so happy that I have a wife that is as open to the new chapter of our life as I am. Adoption to the Wiggs' means growth. 360 degrees of growth. My wife has started a blog that is following the process on where we are if you are interested. Here is the site http://wiggsadoptionstory.blogspot.com . We ask that you pray for us. Pray that the process moves in the direction that the Lord wishes for it to. Currently was are getting ready for our home study. We are also following lots of folks who have decided to grow their families this way and this has made us feel so much better about our prayerful decision to move this way. Thanks!
ZW

3 comments:

Fred and Renee said...

I am very excited about this too. Our family is going to be positively affected in so many ways because of your obedience to God. Love you!!!

JR Rozko said...

Yo man, this is great news and we're really excited for you guys. We have good friends who live right down the road who are in Ethiopia right now moving through the final stages of their adoption process and hoping to being their new son home before Christmas. Happy to put you in touch with them if you are looking for any advice or guidance from folks who've been through it.

Mahala said...

Zach- I have been noticing that you leave your blog link on some of you fb status updates. So, I finally had some time to read some of it. I think that it is amazing that you and your wife are adopting! I will pray for your family as you are in the process. God is going to bless you abundantly. Best wishes! Oh, I have a blog as well..it's kind of girlie, but read it if you wish. Who knows...adoption may be part of God's will for our family as well.... http://heartachetohope.blogspot.com P.S. I will be following your wife's blog!